The multi-“room” backyard garden with Ipe deck and built-in seating, fire pit, patio with bluestone pavers, wood privacy screens, and a series of regraded plant beds has dramatically expanded our living space and enhanced our lives. — Kate J., Somerset, MD
Need more space? Why not add an outdoor room?
We create beautiful landscapes and outdoor living spaces for residences in Washington DC, Bethesda, Maryland, and Arlington, Virginia. ‘Outdoor Rooms’ add an additional 12-15% to a home’s value. A well planned, designed and executed, outdoor living room will feel like a natural extension of your indoor space. We create rooms without walls that bring indoor comfort and style to the privacy of your back yard.
The addition of our outdoor dining terrace and sunken living room, absolutely transformed the way we live and entertain. –Jon Zeitler, Washington, DC
How do we do it? We start by asking you to tell us about the activities you imagine doing outside. We combine that information with the results of a thorough site assessment, then develop a site design plan that divides the space into separate but related activity zones. That could include an outdoor dining area, living room patio and play area. Maybe there is also a secluded spot for quiet and contemplation.
A Room Without Walls
Our landscape designers use transition, definition, and focal points to create the feeling of a room outdoors.
- Elevations: Changes in level achieved by terracing or stepping up/down into separate spaces.
- Thresholds: Changes in color, texture or substance of materials under foot, while going from one space to another.
- Vertical structures such as seating walls define a perimeter. Hedges can separate and function as living walls.
- Pathways bordered by plantings or trees create the feeling of corridors.
- Arbors, pergolas or even overhanging tree branches can create enclosure overhead and function like a ceiling.
- Positioning a fountain, arbor or plant grouping to lead the eye acts like an invitation into another part of the landscape.
- Framing views encourages flow from one area to another in the garden.
These elements and others, thoughtfully constructed, can create the sense of being inside a special room, one that is furnished with the sights, sounds, fragrances and physical sensations of open air living.
Stylish Rooms That Never Go Out of Style
When first installed, your garden will be in it’s infancy stage. The plants will need time… 3-5 years… to fill in and reach the beginning of their mature stage. With proper garden maintenance, your outdoor rooms will never go out of style. They just keep growing better and better.
To view a landscape project that demonstrates these principles of outdoor room design take a look at Urban Contemporary Landscaping in our landscape design portfolio. To see more about how adding these spaces to your landscape may improve your home’s value, see http://www.curbed.com/2017/1/12/14249220/home-improvements-cost-return-renovation-investment